28 October, 2008

JUST ONE MORE REASON
I was amazed at what I encountered today.  I wanted to share with you just one more reason why I will be voting YES ON 8 here in California!  Today I took the girls to Disneyland.  Amanda and her younger 2 kids came so we carpooled up to Anaheim.  She drove and has a YES ON PROP 8 sticker on her car.  As we were walking back in the Downtown Disney parking lot... we see an older black BMW pull into an open parking spot right next ours.  The person riding shotgun doesn't know that is our car and points to our sticker and mouths "NO".  We then hear her say "Let's wait until these people get back".  Well, they didn't have to wait too long.  We then hear them say "Oh my gosh... they are right here".  The next thing we know... there are two lesbians standing in front of us and our kids making out!  They are grabbing each other's butts and getting extra touchy just to be obnoxious!  Amanda and I couldn't believe what was going on.  We tried to not look and didn't say anything simply to not draw attention for the kids.  After a few... they went away chuckling over their little stunt.  

Amanda and I were livid to say the least!  It was uncalled for, dis-respectful and in your face!  I would have freaked out even if a boy/girl couple did that in front of my children.  Don't they get how unclassy that was?  The only thing we could think to do was to leave a note on their car.  Amanda wrote it and it read something like this...
"I have a gay relative.  I am not anti-gay.  I just want parental rights and to teach my kids how and when I feel concerning this topic.  What you did today re-assured me why I am so passionate about voting YES on prop 8.  How can you want respect yet be so disrespectful and intolerant to what I believe?  Why can't we still love each other but have different feelings about things?  I more than anything just feel very sorry for you and how you acted."

I have learned so many things these last few weeks.  I have learned that these people are saying they want to be treated equal.  They want us to be more tolerant of them.  But I have seen nothing but cruelness from them.  I have seen friends cars get keyed who have YES stickers.  I know someone who had Ice Cream smeared all over her car.  I have gotten the bird several times driving with my sticker.  I know of a few friendships that have been ruined over this because someone believed NO so strongly and got mad that their friends didn't.  I heard of someone getting eggs and another bleach thrown on them while holding YES signs on a corner.  It has been eye opening.  All in the meantime... with none of the YES people doing anything.  They think we are being judgmental yet we are 100% being judged.  I have learned to be the bigger person.  I have learned that standing up for what you believe in feels good.  I have loved becoming united with neighbors and community members who do feel the same way about this prop.  I will do everything this next week to help people understand why this is so important.  And I will be so excited come Nov. 4 to vote YES on Prop 8!

26 comments:

amanda said...

amen to that spuds...those girls were so lame and nasty to say the least.
even if it had been a man & woman, that kind of pda right in front of our children was unnecessary, uncalled for and completely disrespectful.
it's sad for them.
but it reaffirms to me that this a battle between right and wrong...

Sarah Hull said...

Summer, I am crying! Thank you for sharing your words with us. I CAN NOT handle that story. You two did the right thing. Very classy. I feel 100% the same way about how the "No" people are being so disrespectful of our views. I wish someone would do a news story on it. It really is out of hand.
I feel even more fired up now! Let's keep fighting a good fight! YES ON PROP 8!

ali said...

wow. i am speechless. How disrespectful. I love the way you guys handled this. I wish I had 1000 votes to cast on Nov. 4th.

Mostly I am sorry you had to go to bed with those images in your mind! Nas-TAY!

Crazy Chabot House said...

Sum-
I am dso proud of you for standing up for what is right. It says in the Bible that The world will hate us because they hated Him. I love that you and I don't care, and will still stand up for what is right. The note you wrote was perfect. I recently had an old friend give me major grief over the issue, and I learned a lot about myself and others through the experience as well.
I will be joining you on November 4 voting for Prop 8!

Crazy Chabot House said...

Sorry Sum, the last comment was me, Shannie.

Brad said...

Summer.

That is very disturbing. I would be so mad also. Good choice of words on the note. It is interesting how nasty people can be.

Julie

UsdailyReader said...

Summer- too bad you didn't video it! Can you imagine how impactful that would be to show on youtube?
Liz

Wendy said...

That is so distasteful! Who does that?!

kristy said...

Oh summer!! I can NOT believe that... I LOVE LOVE what Amanda wrote to them, could NOT have been more perfect! Seriously, we have a YES on 8 sign hanging on our BALCONY (2nd floor) of our house and someone meanie drives by every single day between 8-8:30am blaring their horn, every single day. Mark's been wanting to report it, but today I realized, seeing that sign ruins his/her day. Every day they start off being mad. It really just shows how intolerant as you say they really are to "equal rights". Mark's been SOO fired up about this for weeks planting signs everywhere, blogging till all hours of the night on ocregister.com and that poor guy can't even vote! I LOVE his passion. I miss you! Please let's get together soon. We have to. We must. Talk soon!!

D-dawg said...

GO SUMMER! YES! I feel the exact same way. We have all united together on this and they can all try to hurt us as much as they want but we are being the better people in not retaliating. It is shocking the way some people behave. You totally did the right thing in ignoring them- good job!!

Marcy said...

I really can't believe that happened to you. How incredibly disrespectful.

Last night I was at the call center again making calls for the cause, and I'm still amazed at how many people don't even want to listen to why I am voting Yes on Prop 8. But on the flip, I did have a handful of really nice people who listened to what I had to say and now say they are voting yes...so that was encouraging. I just hope they get to the polls to actually vote.

I can't wait until next Tuesday is over!

The Dean Family said...

OMG is all i can say to this post! things are getting out of control over there!!! and your pumpkin patch pictures are so cute and i'm really jealous right now..i just found out that maui has a pumpkin patch and i called about it yesterday...NO MORE PUMPKINS! i was so upset 'cause i thought it would be fun to take ella to it...oh well next year for sure!!

Elizabeth said...

oh my gosh! I could not agree with you more! i would have been soo pissed if I had to see that, let alone my kids see that! That is seriously so disrespectful, i can't believe this is what the world is coming to! I"m so depressed about the whole thing, it better pass seriously!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Trotter Family said...

I was just standing on the corner with my kids the other night and we saw some pretty crazy things. Luckily, it was mostly positive responses that we got though. Some people are comparing this to the Civil Rights movement and if that is the case I would say we are the black ones in it. We are peacefully making a statement and they are doing these horrible nasty things to us. I would say we live in a pretty conservative area, so we have it pretty good. Can you imagine what it is like for the prop 8 supporters up in San Francisco?

Anonymous said...

you are crazy! - No on prop 8!!!!!

Anonymous said...

So proud of you girls!! These days are hard and our faith is being tested. Smiling to every angry, miserable person will hopefully soften their hearts... but don't hold your breath.

SUMMER said...

No on Prop 8 person... why are you hiding behind an "anonymous" name? Why are you scared to stand up for yourself and your belief?

ali said...

come on anonymous...man up!

Mama Mia said...

Way to go Summer...so proud of you to get involved...YES on PROP 8...

Anonymous said...

Summer, I cannot beleive that disgusting story... how horrible you guys must have felt. I am so sorry that you and your kids had to be put in that kind of situation. Your strength and faith have inspired many of us! Keep it up! hugs, Korinne

camille said...

Oh my gosh! I mean, it's not even about prop 8 to do something like that. We wouldn't want a boy and a girl to do that in front of me OR MY KIDS!!! That is just bad judgement all around and totally rude. I'm sorry that happened to you. I'm impressed you didn't say anything cause I would've had something to tell them for sure! It just shows you that some people are completely off the mark about what prop 8 is all about, eh?!

Anonymous said...

So sorry that you AND your kids had that happen to you. It's one thing to have it happen by accident but when someone is deliberately putting you in that position it's just ignorant and rude. I hate to say it but this kind of stuff just seems like the calm before the storm and I'm afraid to see what happens once this passes or not.

zuniga family said...

I love the letter Amanda wrote! Beautiful! Sal feels the same exact way as you. He was walking on campus on CSULB and there were people their in wedding dresses saying don't ruin our wedding. He also said that on every piece of cement, written in chalk was "No on Prop 8." Everytime he came to one, he took his shoe and got rid of the chalk. He is so frustrated with these fanatics. Granted there are fanatics on each side, but the prop no people are just being flat out rude. They want us to be tolerant yet can't tolerant our views? A bit hyprocritical if you ask me! Honestly, I wasn't that big on Prop 8. I was always going to vote yes but it wasn't until recently, that I seriously try to talk to anyone I can (which is hard because many of my students are for no and I can't talk politics, so i try my best to educate them). I am so sorry your girls had to see that. Can you please tell Amanda to drop me a line? I have called her seriously 7 times! I know life is weird for her! Sorry about the long post!

A and M said...

OH MY GOODNESS!! How disrespectful was that couple? Like you said, whether they were gay or not, you would not want to see ANYONE behaving that way in front of children!
I think you and your friend behaved the best way possible, way to go!

Shalyse said...

I am proud of you ALL down there! I wish I could vote YES ON PROP 8 too! Thanks for doing it...my little nieces and nephews need it down there!!! :-)

Jessica said...

Seriously???? I would have said, "Thanks for proving my point! You obviously can't handle marriage!"