10 June, 2008

A day with Jeanners!!!


First off, please know that I am NOT making fun of my grandma!  She is hilarious, fun and pure entertainment for me!  She is in town visiting for the week from Prescott, AZ.  It is always a good time.  While my mom worked yesterday, I got to take Granny around with me.  We went shopping, to lunch and here is a little more info about our day:

9:30 am- call her from my house to tell her that I am leaving to come get her and should be there around 9:45am.  Her reply..."HONEY!  You told me between 9:00 and 9:30am and I have been sitting here ready!"  

10:00am- We are driving along PCH when we spot 2 stray dogs.  Please note that this lady is an animal person /lover / rescuer.  She has 5 cats at home and I think all have been rescued!  

10:02am- Two husky dogs are in the back of my car.  We were supposed to be on our way to Target and are now on the way to the Laguna Beach Animal Shelter.  My car is beginning to smell a little and I am nervous that they are going to jump over the back seat and bite Berkley. Granny is talking to the dogs in a baby voice and keeps telling me what wonderful dogs they are!

10:25 am- Show up at the Animal Shelter and find out that they are closed and don't open until 11:00am!  My granny goes around to the back door and starts to knock until someone opens it. A he/she type woman comes out and says she can take them now if I sign a waiver.  "Of course" I say.  I just really want to get to my errands before I need to pick Haven up from school.  I open the back up for the lady to retrieve the dogs and all I see is HAIR all over the back and lick marks on the back window.  Oh well, we did a good deed right?

10:50am- get to Target.  Shop for a little while and keep getting told that I need to get a cart for my 4 items.  I proceed to tell her that I don't and I usually just put them in my stroller.  She says "Whatever Summer" in her sometimes sassy tone.

11:00am- driving to Trader Joes and Granny screams to pull over b/c there is an ambulance coming!  I tell her that it is just a scene from the Enchanted movie that Berkley is watching in the back seat.

11:30am- Granny opens up a bag of Pirate Booty and eats 1/2 of it!  I tell her that we are meeting Bryan for lunch at noon and to not fill up.  She gives me a dirty look and keeps eating it while telling me what a beautiful Trader Joes that was.

11:35am- She picks up my DVD player remote in the car and says, "You got any spare minutes on this cell phone so I can call Harry (her 4th husband)".  Proceeds to dial the remote!  


11:37am- I give her the real phone (my cell) and she calls her husband to ask, "How are my cats?  Are they OK?"

12:25pm-While at lunch... she fights with me that I am not allowed to pay and bumps me out of the way.  She orders something small (probably b/c she is full from the Pirate Booty) and then picks at everyone else's food saying, "Are you going to finish this?"  This is very normal and very Italian.  They refuse to leave food.

1:00pm- Passes out on my couch with her purse still on.  This too is very normal.  

1:20pm- Up from her cat nap and ready for her chocolate fix.  Finds some brownies that I made from the night before and eats them up.

3:00pm- Asks me if I can take her over to TJ Maxx (where she spent 2 hours saturday night already).  I tell her "Yes" and we go with my 2 crazy kids.  She tells me about a decorative fish she wanted to purchase for her hair dresser on saturday and now it is gone.  She says that she heard once that when you want something you have to just get it b/c other people can feel the vibe and then will buy it if you don't.

3:30pm- Stop to get me and the kids an Ice Cream.  Ask her if she wants one and she says NO.  The next thing I know... she is in the store with me ordering the biggest one out of all of us.  She devours it in 3 minutes and says how good it was.  

4:30pm- I drop her off and my fun is over!!!  

*This lady is the BEST and I could not imagine my life with out her!!!!  As I spend time with her, I can see that I got many of her qualities including:
*Love of food/ especially chocolate
*A good shopping bargain
*Sometimes a little bit of sassiness
*The need for a good nap

26 comments:

g.lock said...

HAHAHAHA! the most entertaining post i've ever read. wish i could've been a part of this day! grandma jeanne's the best.

Jenny said...

She is too cute! What a fun day!

Anonymous said...

I love a good laugh- and now I love your g-ma jeanne! She is classic! What a BRIGHT blue in your living room- how fun!

Shalyse said...

I am dying laughing! Can I hang out with your Granny? Why are Grandma's the FUNNIEST people in the whole world? I have a super hilarious one too!

I want to be a funny grandma when I am older. GREAT post!

Tarah said...

was she clued in to all your picture taking and now blogging about her? How hilarious!

SUMMER said...

Tarah- I showed her the pics after I took them and although she was semi-mad... she kind of laughed. And yes she saw the blog already and said, "Summer, my ice cream was NOT the biggest one!" I can confirm that it was by the weight of the Ice Cream at Frosted Cup. Hers was the most expensive.

Lisa Harris said...

That was really cute and super funny. She sounds like a fun lady. Glad your day was so eventful!

The Dean Family said...

SO FUNNY! love it!!!

hub of the house said...

she is adorable!!!

maryam said...

What a cute grandma!

D-dawg said...

So funny Summer! I love your grandma now. Don't forget another thing you inherited from her- eating others food- or at least just trying a little of theirs! Do you still do that? She sounds like a blast. So sorry about the dog hair though- I am not an animal lover so I would have died over that. Great post!

Maury said...

I am loving the picture of her passed out your couch! Too funny! I can't wait to be a crazy old lady.

Christy said...

Summer, this is your best post yet! I was laughing so hard that I had tears. Love Grandma! So funny.

kate said...

that's my jeanners! i'm fortunate to be named after her!

Jenny said...

D-Dawg - YES! She still does that!
:)

SUMMER said...

Oops a daisy... I guess I did get the food stealing from her too.

amanda said...

do you think she forgives me for telling her off when i was 16 because i was supposed to pick up katie for a soccer game and she told me she didn't need to go? i would love to see her and ricky dee in a shouting match...they are both one of a kind!!!! if only i could have been a passenger that day, i would have LOVED it, i LOVE her, and you are a miniature version of her to the tee!!!! SPUDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

What a cute grandma. She sounds like a riot.

ali said...

does granny read this? Thanks for the good laugh. I love old people. My grandpa is a CRAZY man. He is known in the Laguna Beach ward for giving talks with props or loud outbursts.

Jason and Layna said...

I love this post, she sounds so fun. I would die with all the dog hair and other things that could float off them in my car.

amberbuck said...

As I am sitting her laughing at this post, I'm wishing I had a fun grandma like that! SOunds like you have such a great relationship and that is awesome!

Anonymous said...

I love her. She was so much fun when she came to see you at school. Grandmas are the best.

Ann Marie said...

This is hilarious! Made me crack up!

Adrienne said...

What a hilarious post...I wonder if my Aunt Janet has half the personality, seeing as they are BFF!
the best was dialing your car remote....too funny!

Lesley said...

She is hilarious! What a great day!

Mama Mia said...

wow what a day! i loved reading this...reminded me a little of glo...but glo is constantly asking what you are feeding her or who walked in the room (she is going blind) but when you tell her she doesn't believe you! Then next minute she can see perfectly all the way acrossed the room...sometimes we think she is pulling one over on us!